Hope for our future
Ten tips for being a climate justice activist (Xiye bastida, pg. 6)
1. Don't start from scratch. There are hundreds of existing initiatives that you can join.
2. Maintain good communication with your peers and the adult organizations you partner with.
3. Take good care of yourself and others.
4. Make your activism intersectional; include all stakeholders in your decision making, and don't tokenize.
5. Don't do things the patriarchal way, the racist way, the exhausting way, or any way that excludes marginalized voices just to be "efficient" and do things fast.
6. At events you hold, invite Indigenous peoples to do land acknowledgements, and remember that Indigenous knowledge is the foundation for addressing the climate crisis.
7. Always convey that individual and structual change are both indisputably necessary.
8. Meet people where they're at. Not everyone knows the climate crisis back and forth. Explain it and present solutions.
9. Use accessible language. Not everyone knows about ppm (parts per million) or the IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change).
10. Talk about greenwashing, environmental racism, green gentrification (or as I call it, greentrification), and what a just transition means.
Art as a tool for change
- Favianna Rodriguez's climate artwork (Favianna Artwork)
- Why Art is a Tool for Hope (TED Talk)
- 11 Visual Artists Taking on the Climate Crisis (The Climate Reality Project)
- 2040 (link to watch the film) This links to the Kanopy website, and it may ask you to sign in to your UMD account. Click the orange "Play" button to start the video. Available to students, faculty, staff, individually as well as in a classroom.
- I Am Greta: A Force of Nature (can only be provided through ELMS) For directions on how to access the film, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
let's talk about the climate crisis — podcasts
- Century-old Deep-sea Expeditions Provide New Climate Change Insights (Maryland Today)
- Growing Justice from Grassroots Science (Maryland Today)
- Modeling Historical Biomass Could Be Key to Buffering Climate Change (ESSIC News)
- A ‘Groundbreaking Opportunity’ to Fight Climate Change (Maryland Today)
- Listening to ‘Animal Orchestras’ May Help Save the Amazon (Maryland Today)
- UMD Co-leads $750K NSF, Amazon Project to Tackle AI Bias in Mapping (Maryland Today)
- Community Engagement, Environmental Justice, & Health program (CEEJH)
Around the globe
We will post links to news articles and current events related to All We Can Save. We’ll be adding to this page regularly–check back often!